I am really excited to be given the rare opportunity to conduct the Ministry of Bellz in the premiere of my latest composition, 神遊上河 for Solo Chinese Bass Drum, Solo Soprano, Handbell Ensemble and Mixed Choir. The premiere will be performed by Ms. Melodie Ng (Percussion), Ms. Grace Kuo (Soprano Solo), Ministry of Bellz & the Schola Cantorum Singapore Chamber Choir TODAY, 27 January 2018 at the Drama Centre Theatre Singapore (National Library). Tickets are SOLD OUT so hope you got your tickets early!
神遊上河 is a first for me, in many ways.
- Unusual instrumentation – solo Chinese bass drum, solo soprano, handbell ensemble and choir.
- “Live” projection of a really cool ancient Chinese painting (清明上河图) as the music is playing. And yes the painting is scrolling from right to left as per Chinese tradition!
- Compositionally, this is pretty new ground for me… taking inspiration from various places:
- Ancient Chinese 编钟 bian zhong (bell) music
- Modern Western handbell music
- Compositional ideas from contemporary pop and classical music
THANK YOU Baba Damien LIM and the Ministry of Bellz for having faith in us and for commissioning this work!